The June issue of Astronomy Now is now available. This month's column features the colorful double, Struve 2259 in Hercules.
|Issue:||June 2009 Astronomy Now|
|Basic Media:||White ink marker, white pastel and colored pastel pencil on black paper.|
|Featured Technique:||Using white ink along with white and colored pastel to create a positive double star drawing on black paper. No computer intervention required.|
- Black artist grade stock such as Strathmore Artagain (Daler-Rowney Canford in the UK)
- White paper and HB Pencil for field sketch
- White graphite transfer paper
- White paint marker such as Elmer's Painters Paint Marker (Sakura White Pen-touch in the UK)
- Color pastel pencils such as Conté, Derwent, Faber-Castell Pitt or Stabilo brands. (Choose colors that fill a stellar and nebula-oriented spectrum.)
- White Charcoal Pencil such as General's brand
- Blending Stump
- Kneaded eraser (Putty rubber)
- Artist's Spray Fixative such as Winsor and Netwon's Artist Fixative
- Clipboard and adjustable red light
Sketch of Struve 2259 (STF 2259)
Click image to view larger version.